Ellen, a Justice of the Peace, has practised as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore after she was called to the Bar on 14 January 1981. She worked as a Legal Assistant in M/s Lim Kiap Khee & Co from then till September 1984.
In 1984, Ellen set up her sole-proprietorship law firm, Ellen Lee and Company, and after 21 years of successful practice, she merged it with M/s Ramdas & Wong in 2005 to become their Consultant in preparation for the 2006 General Elections.
She was elected twice as a Member of Parliament for Sembawang GRC (Woodlands) in 2006 and 2011 respectively.She retired from politics in August 2015.
During her tenure as MP, she held many appointments. More prominently, she was the Chairman of the Singapore-Europe Parliamentary Friendship Group and a member of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association's Women Parliamentarian Executive Committee.
Ellen was also Vice-Chairman of the Government Parliamentary Committee (GPC) for the Ministries of Defence and Foreign Affairs and concurrently a member of the GPC for Health. She was also a member of the GPC for the Ministries of Law & Home Affairs and the then Community, Youth and Sports (now Ministry of Social & Family Development).
Ellen, a native Teochew, was the first female Parliamentarian to be appointed an ex-officio in the Ngee Ann Kongsi Board of Directors from 2006 to 2015.
Ellen was also appointed Board Member of the Land Transport Authority from 2011 to 2017 and was also Chairman of LTA’s Finance and Establishment Committee and a Member of LTA’s Risk Management Committee.
- Admission to the Singapore Bar, (1981)
- Member of the Criminal Law Advisory Hearing Committee
- Member of the Law Society of Singapore’s Inquiry Panel
- Legal Advisor and Board member of PAVE (Promoting Alternatives to Violence)
- Member of the Ministry of Health, National Transplant Ethics Panel of Laypersons
- Licensed Solemniser and Deputy Registrar of the Registry of Marriages, Singapore
Member of the Ministry Of Health Clinical Ethics Committee (CEC)
Member of MAS’ Disciplinary Action Appeals Panel
Member of the ITE Panel of Persons for the Committee of Inquiry (COI)
- President of the Singapore Table Tennis Association
- President of the Silver Ribbon (Singapore)
- Board Member and Legal Advisor of Nam Hwa Opera Limited
- Board Member and Legal Advisor of Bukit Timah Seu Teck Seon Tong Institution
- Vice-President and Honorary Legal Advisor of the Singapore Min Chong Sports Club
- Honorary Legal Advisor of various NGOs, VWOs, Chinese Clans, Associations, Religious, Cultural and Literary Groups, among others.
- Teaching Service Provider to the Singapore University of Social Services
- DCMO Law LLC, Consultant (1 December 2020 to todate)
Belinda Ang Tang & Partners, Consultant (1 April 2014 to 30 November 2020)
Ramdas & Wong, Consultant (1 October 2005 to 30 March 2014)
Ellen Lee & Company (1 October 1984 to 30 September 2005)
Lim Kiap Khee & Company (14 January 1981 to 30 September 1984)
- Supreme Court of Singapore, Advocate & Solicitor (1981-2020)
- Family Law
Probate, Wills, LPAs
Summary of Past Service Records
- Inaugural Chairman of the Law Society of Singapore Family Law Practice Committee for 10 years and as a Consultant from 2015 till 2020
- President for 2 terms and as Vice-President for about 8 terms respectively of the Singapore Association of Women Lawyers (SAWL)
- Served in the People’s Association in various Committees as Chairman, Secretary and member respectively from 1982 to 2006
- President of the Singapore Women’s Football Association
- Columnist of SAWL’s Legal Letterbox published in the Chinese dailies, Lianhe Zaobao, Lianhe Wanbao and Shin Min Daily.
- Regular interviews in Straits Times, The New Paper,Lianhe Zaobao, Lianhe Wanbao and Shin Min Daily and MediaCorp’s Capital FM 95.8, 972 and 93.8 and NTUC’s 100.3 and FM 96.8
- Gave pro bono talks on different law topics to the public at community clubs, VWOs and NGOs and providing weekly free legal counselling services under SAWL